PUNK 101: Steampunk, Dieselpunk and a Three Year Old Genius!

PUNK 101: Steampunk, Dieselpunk and a Three Year Old Genius!

“A guy walks up to me and asks ‘What’s Punk?’. So I kick over a garbage can and say ‘That’s Punk!’ So he kicks over a garbage can and says ‘That’s Punk?’, and I say ‘No that’s trendy!”
- Billie Joe Armstrong

Now that’s Steampunk!

On Sunday, my youngest daughter, ‘Yemi, who is three years old, was watching an episode of The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. with me and whenever Lord Bowler – one of the main characters on the show, played by the late Julius Carry (“Sho’ ‘Nuff, of The Last Dragon fame) – would do something exciting, she would shout: “Now that’s Steampunk right there!”

Curious, I asked her “What’s Steampunk, baby?”

She waited until Lord Bowler punched a guy and then she pointed at the screen and said “That!”

I put The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. on pause and then showed her the fight scene between Count Dooku and Yoda from Star Wars, Episode II. I asked her was it Steampunk and she said “No; Steampunk people don’t look like that.”

Even more curious, I showed her a scene from the Sherlock Holmes movie (the one starring Robert Downey, Jr., not Basil Rathbone – which I actually like the most) and said “This isn’t Steampunk, is it?”

‘Yemi stared at me in disbelief, placed her tiny fists on her hips and said “Now Daddy, you know that’s Steampunk”

Somehow, she gets it. Through listening to my conversations with my wife and students about Steampunk and through observing me as I research hundreds of photographs and newspaper clippings in doing research for my novel, Moses: The Chronicles of Harriet Tubman, she has internalized the aesthetics of Steampunk and has come up with actions that – to her, at least – are representative of the genre.

I have thus decided to formalize her study of Steampunk, Steamfunk and all the other “offspring” of that rather fertile mother / father – Cyberpunk. I now share with you her syllabus. 

TO READ MORE OF THIS ARTICLE, PLEASE VISIT: http://chroniclesofharriet.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/punk-101-steamp....

Views: 36

Reply to This

SWAG Support Fund

Visit us on:

TWITTER                          TUMBLR

FACEBOOK                 

GOOGLE+                       

Latest Activity

David Grimsby posted videos
Aug 13
Profile IconSarah Jayne Mercado, Tyler Tork and David Grimsby joined S.W.A.G
Aug 13
Michal Wojcik and Kevin Steil are now friends
Aug 5
Bill Tillman shared a profile on Facebook
Jul 18
Michael Tierney posted a blog post

The Secret Notebook of Michael Faraday, my second novel in the Airship Flamel Advenstures Series is now available!

The book is a prequel to my first novel To Rule the Skies, although I think of it more as just coming first chronologically.  It follows the main character from my previous novel, Nicodemus Boffin, from his boyhood to about a decade before the events in To Rule the Skies.The synopsis:Nicodemus Boffin, a uncommonly clever boy…See More
Jul 13
Clay Davis liked Stephanie Kato's discussion New to S.W.A.G
Jun 21
Kevin Steil commented on Kevin Steil's blog post Airship Ambassador Interview #105 with Caress author, Eli Easton
Jun 19
Kevin Steil posted a blog post
Jun 18

Click here for SWAG badges for websites

Small Press, Indie & Anthology Covers

© 2017   Created by Lia Keyes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service