I picked up a paperback copy of Steven Hunt's 'The Court of the Air' over the weekend, and I've spent the last four days reading it. It's one of the better books I've read in a while, and although I haven't read that many steampunk books, this is one of my favorites. I'm no good at summaries, so here's one from Wikipedia:

"When streetwise Molly Templar witnesses a brutal murder at the brothel she has recently been apprenticed to, her first instinct is to run back to the poorhouse where she grew up. But there she finds her fellow orphans butchered, and it slowly dawns on her that she was the real target of the attack. For Molly is a special little girl, and she carries a secret that marks her out for destruction by enemies of the state.

Oliver Brooks has led a sheltered existence in the backwater home of his merchant uncle. But when he is framed for his only relative's murder, he is forced to flee for his life, accompanied by an agent of the mysterious Court of the Air. Chased across the country, Oliver finds himself in the company of thieves, outlaws, and spies, and gradually learns more about the secret that has blighted his life.

Soon Molly and Oliver will find themselves battling a grave threat to civilization, an ancient power thought to have been quelled millennia ago. Their enemies are ruthless and myriad, but the two orphans are also aided by indomitable friends."

It's not a terribly apt summary, but it's better than any of mine...Anyway, I just wanted to recommend this story to anyone looking for a good Steampunk read.

Nell

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks! The Court of the Air popped up on my Amazon recommendations list...I'll have to check it out.
Thank you for this, Nell! I've heard mixed reviews of this book, but the premise is certainly intriguing enough to make me give it a go. I'm going to download it to my Kindle today!
currently reading it, but it's one huge bit of a book. not so sure about it yet :/

Well, it's been nearly a year since I read it, but I think it was worth the read. Wouldn't say the same for the kind of sequel, though.

RSS

SWAG Support Fund

Visit us on:

TWITTER                          TUMBLR

FACEBOOK                 

GOOGLE+                       

Latest Activity

Click here for SWAG badges for websites

Small Press, Indie & Anthology Covers

© 2017   Created by Lia Keyes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service