Hi, just thought I'd drop in and say hello. My name's Gavin and I'm on the lookout for SF and Fantasy writers, particularly in things like Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Clockpunk, Slipstream and other under-represented genres. I work for Wattpad as part of the the Content team and we really need some good writers to join the site. I also write SF, Steampunk, Fantasy and Horror, which is another reason I'm desperate to get more on there: I like reading too. To give you a bit of background...

I started on Wattpad as a rank amateur (very rank in some cases), and got so involved in the site and writing that I ended up getting a few short stories published, and subsequently joined the team in quick succession. Now while I appreciate that this sounds like the old Remington advert – I loved it so much, I bought the company! – the site does have a lot to offer writers of any level, but particularly those who have the skills to write a good story.

Exposure.

The goal of writers, to be exposed to readers (there are 12 million of them) who devour their every word, who hang on every crafted sentence, and heap praise on them every time they produce a new piece of work.

Exposure and feedback.

Even better. And that’s something that I’ve had constantly since I joined the site some two and a half years ago. That feedback has enabled me to go from someone guilty of serious comma abuse (I trained as an engineer, we tend to do stuff in bullet points) to a published writer, although I'm happy to admit that I still have a fair bit to learn.

So, at this point people are probably thinking What Pad? What the heck is he on about? How can it benefit me? or maybe even “I’m not a beginner, I’m already published…”

… and this is where exposure comes in again. Some of the writers on Wattpad have logged millions of reads on their work. Quite a few have logged tens of millions; that’s serious exposure. I myself have logged 1.7 million on one of my works and that’s on an historical fiction novel, which is not perhaps the most popular genre at the moment. It doesn’t stop there though, as some writers as young as 18 have been picked up by the likes of Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins for six figure sums. Yes, those are the success stories, but there have been more.

Wattpaders don’t just use the website, they use mobile devices too. The App is massively popular. Over 80% of Wattpadders use the site through their mobiles and read on the move. No books, no paper, just the small phone or similar mobile device that is glued to virtually every person in modern society. That's a lot of readers. The site has a great community element and is quite social, but that doesn’t detract from the fact that people like Cory Doctorow, David Moody, Margaret Atwood and Paulo Cuelho are active members who see and understand the value of the site and the exposure it brings. 

So, why should you join? We can help expose you to millions of readers, allowing you to connect directly with your audience to cultivate a dedicated, engaged reader base.
To that end, I've written this little piece to see if anyone's interested in joining in. If you want to talk to me about it, you can post questions here for others to see and I'll answer them, or you can contact me at gavin@wattpad.com. Cheers, Gav

Link: Access the Steampunk discussion thread on Wattpad

~

?utm_source=mkt&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=scifi

Views: 452

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not a fan of Amazon at all I'm afraid. Kobo are far nice to their independant writers. Amazon's select program is just a money grabbing tool and I really don't like it at all...

Gavin, while we have you captured here... is there a Wattpad widget I can add to my FB author page?

I would love to be able to add a tab to my FB page, showing my Wattpad content, so people who find me that way can click straight through. I couldn't find anything to enable me to do this?

thanks.

Sorry evaded capture earlier by the simple expedient of being at work...

I'm afraid they don't do the widgets any more. You can add a link to your profile though. 

I'm afraid I'm not privy to the entirety of Allen and Ivan's plans for the future of the company, but they're both intelligent guys so whatever they do it'll be interesting =] 

Hi Gavin,

I use Wattpad, and I have to say that I've had a very positive experience so far. I have one question about reads. What constitutes a read? Does a person just need to visit the first page of a chapter for the number to increase, or do they need to read it through? I ask because I've been trying to gauge how many actual readers my novel has, and how many people may have bounced.

Also, I have a steampunk novel on the site that I've nearly completed. Now I'm gearing up for a kickstarter campaign to fund professional editing and design work for the novel. Would Wattpad interested in lending some additional exposure to someone in this situation? For example, featuring the story for a few weeks leading up to the kickstarter, and then once the book is complete, I could offer the final version for free to Wattpad users for a limited time (possibly even release it exclusively for free through Wattpad for a week or two before it's wide release)?

Either way, I'm loving the site. Looks like a fun place to work too!

A 'read' registers every time a new user clicks on a chapter. If someone comes back to read it again it won't register as they've already seen it. 

Wattpad Feature books, but only if the author is willing to leave them up for a period of 6 months or more. I'd suggest that leaving it Featured could help in terms of exposure. 

Glad you're enjoying the site, and yes, it's an amazing place to work. I'm in the UK, but the head office in Toronto is wonderful. Lovely people, and I've never seen another working environment like it. Even the big meeting room table is a ping pong table. It's brilliantly quirky.

Let me know if you want any more info about Featuring, more than happy to talk it through. 

Just in time for New Years, the third edition of The Aether Chronicle! Enjoy!

Attachments:

Mr. Wilson, 

My name is Leslie Orton, I am the founder, editor, and publisher of the online Steampunk newspaper The Aether Chronicle. I am also an independent writer, and I work for a real-world newspaper in Ontario. I am always interested in new ways to reach the reading-audience. Frankly, that was part of the reason I began publishing a newspaper. If you would like to see samples of my work, look no further than My Page. I post a new blog for each edition of The Chronicle. I also update an ongoing Discussion, so you can peruse previous editions of The Chronicle there. The Discussion always has the most recent edition's headline in the name. Right now the Discussion is entitled: "The Aether Chronicle #13: The Night Circus Arrives in London!" I should mention that the news articles are mine; the Travel pieces are all written by my esteemed associated, Amelia Owen Kibbey, and I feature the works of new writers in The Aether Review of Books. 

If you see something you like, let me know! If not, then I might be useful to you in terms of getting the word out to the public about the opportunity you are offering them. Also, if you Subscribe to The Chronicle (by visiting the Discussion I mentioned above and clicking "Follow" so you are notified when a new edition comes out) you have the opportunity to approach the featured writers in the paper who might be responsive to your offer!

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me!

Thanks,

Leslie Orton

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the invitation, I have posted a few steampunk stories on Wattpad, under 'Armitage' (my steampunk alter ego) the more exposure the better.

Hope all goes well for you.

NEB Inskip

I used to be on there quite a bit but have slacked over the years. I'll be sure to drop back by!

RSS

SWAG Support Fund

Visit us on:

TWITTER                          TUMBLR

FACEBOOK                 

GOOGLE+                       

Latest Activity

Clay Davis is now a member of S.W.A.G
1 hour ago
Kevin Steil posted a blog post
11 hours ago
Kevin Steil commented on Kevin Steil's blog post Airship Ambassador Interview #103 with The Yellow Hoods author, Adam Dreece
"Interview #103 with The Yellow Hoods author, Adam Dreece, conclusion, https://airshipambassador.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/interview-103-adam-dreece-2/"
Mar 15
Kevin Steil posted a blog post
Mar 14
Noir Magus posted a discussion

The Replicant - NZ Steampunk Magazine

I thought the below might be of interest. Obviously I'm totally biased because the first article is about me :-)The Replicant – March 2017 editionWelcome to the third edition of The Replicant, issued in March 2017 – the collected efforts of Eccentric Gearing, the League of Imagineers’ writing group.This link gives access to the PDF:https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuctGItcm-U-gWCbWw5qSdN3HLpISee More
Mar 6
M D Flyn posted a photo

header_site_large2

Writer extraordinaire and perpetrator of geekery. Lover of all things fantasy, scifi, & otherwise weird, including all you lovely weirdos.
Feb 28
M D Flyn is now a member of S.W.A.G
Feb 27
Leon Bawdon is now a member of S.W.A.G
Feb 17

Click here for SWAG badges for websites

Small Press, Indie & Anthology Covers

© 2017   Created by Lia Keyes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service