Steampunk is such a visual feast - which movies do you think provide the richest meal?

Here's the list so far:
  • City of Lost Children
  • Brazil
  • Metropolis
  • City of Ember
  • Steamboy
  • Castle in the Sky
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
  • The Time Machine 
  • Full Metal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shamballa
  • Hellboy II: The Golden Army
  • Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello
  • Mysterious Island (1961/2005)
  • The Prestige
  • Wild Wild West
  • The Golden Compass
  • Frankenstein (1994)
  • Brisco County Jr

TV Shows:

• Dr Who Christmas Special (2008)
  • Firefly
  • Tin Man
  • The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne
  • The Infinite Worlds of HG Wells
  • Biggles: Adventures in Time
  • Wild Wild West 

Views: 302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I doubt it was the intended design, but I do feel Hellboy, especially Hellboy 2, had steampunk elements. Especially the underground, otherworld city. The same with City of Ember.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had some wonderful steampunk elements, as does Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle.

Warren C. Bennett said:

I always kind of considered Hellboy a bit steampunkish. At least the movies... LIke "What if steampunk continued to develop into the modern times?"  I haven't read the comics so I have no idea if that is an intended design element or not.

Donaidh Allyn said:

Would you all consider Hellboy one and two having SP elements?  clockwork type function of golden army?  time traveling sand guy from the first one?   Abe Sapian's goggles?  HB's big ass red hand.   IMO it is subtle but in your face as well.

Hello everyone! Popping in with my two cents worth, I submit The 1960s Time Machine with Rod Taylor. The design of that Time Machine Says it all. Classic. also Journey to the Center Of the Earth With James Mason, Mysterious Island, all victorian era Sci Fi. My love for them as a child surly perpetuated my affinity for the Steampunk aesthetic. And if I might venture Doctor Who The Next Doctor, Christmas special 2008 set in Victoria's London. The marriage of old and new with a western flair prompts me to share my love for Firefly as well. The Whole season. Perhaps not Steampunk in the purest sense, but it epitomizes what I love about Steampunk, science fiction nuanced with the aesthetic of the past.
Looking back on this thread, I realize two good things other people have mentioned. One, Tin Man, which has a steampunk base, and is enjoyable. Two is Firefly, Joss Whedon's half finished masterpiece. Although this TV show was cancelled before the end of the 1st season, a movie was later made, and many fan-made productions are out as well. It is set in a fascinating universe, with a wonderful cast. Definitely one to look up.

Tin Man - An interesting interpretation of Oz.  It is one of those shows that became better as it went on.  I wasn't totally sold on it at first but I ended up really liking it by the end, even if i thought the gal that played dorthy kind of phoned in her performance.  

I should see about settiing up a Netflix playlist based on the  movies/series mentioned here.

Nell Ryan said:

Looking back on this thread, I realize two good things other people have mentioned. One, Tin Man, which has a steampunk base, and is enjoyable. Two is Firefly, Joss Whedon's half finished masterpiece. Although this TV show was cancelled before the end of the 1st season, a movie was later made, and many fan-made productions are out as well. It is set in a fascinating universe, with a wonderful cast. Definitely one to look up.

Has anyone mentioned Steamboy? The plot is a little odd (But expected: Japanese Anime after all) and the art in the movie is absolutely gorgeous.  Even if you don't like the plot, watching the movie for all the steampunk machinery is a must.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steamboy

Yes, there are definitely better Dorothy's out there. But it improved as it went on. Have you seen Firefly?

Warren C. Bennett said:

Tin Man - An interesting interpretation of Oz.  It is one of those shows that became better as it went on.  I wasn't totally sold on it at first but I ended up really liking it by the end, even if i thought the gal that played dorthy kind of phoned in her performance.  

I should see about settiing up a Netflix playlist based on the  movies/series mentioned here.

Nell Ryan said:

I would call that a mashup between steampunk and Lovecraft. If anything, it could be considered a gumbo of pulp fiction, which most certainly includes proto-steampunk.

Donaidh Allyn said:

Would you all consider Hellboy one and two having SP elements?  clockwork type function of golden army?  time traveling sand guy from the first one?   Abe Sapian's goggles?  HB's big ass red hand.   IMO it is subtle but in your face as well.

Ahh, how can you forget that other Miyazaki classic, "Castle In the Sky", which was steampunk from start to finish?

Jaymee Goh said:
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had some wonderful steampunk elements, as does Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle.
Here is my submission for steampunk film, though it owes more than a bit of its inspiration to the German Expressionist films of the 1920s (among which we have the proto-steampunk story, "Metropolis" directed by Fritz Lang): Dark City. The machinery and tech is definitely off-kilter enough to qualify.
Yes, I agree, Dark City definitely has some steampunk elements for me and the whole feel of the film. 

J. Keith Haney said:
Here is my submission for steampunk film, though it owes more than a bit of its inspiration to the German Expressionist films of the 1920s (among which we have the proto-steampunk story, "Metropolis" directed by Fritz Lang): Dark City. The machinery and tech is definitely off-kilter enough to qualify.
"The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne" was a TV show (not a movie) carried by the Sci-Fi Network many years ago. Originally a British production, I think, it has not been released for American DVD. However some perfectly respectable business associates who, in no way, dabble in spurious or legally questionable enterprises (ahem) found a way to get me the only season.
It was super rife with Steampunk everything; battle zeppelins, secret conspiracies, diabolical madmen, and such.
Metropolis (original version b/w), Blue Angel

RSS

SWAG Support Fund

Visit us on:

TWITTER                          TUMBLR

FACEBOOK                 

GOOGLE+                       

Latest Activity

Matt Knowles is now a member of S.W.A.G
Jul 20
Lia Keyes posted a status
"Feeling grateful to Bill Bodden, who has donated to keep https://steampunkwriters.ning.com/ online for another year! Thank you so much, Bill!"
Jun 13
"Delighted to announce that https://steampunkwriters.ning is now SSL certified. #steampunkchat"
Jun 6
"Huge thanks to Gaslamp Used Books for their donation towards keeping SWAG online! You're amazing!"
Jun 5
"Thanks to donations from angels like Shirley Hailstock, we are looking healthier this evening than we did this morning. Hugs to Shirley!"
Jun 5
"Huge thanks to Scott Kinkade for his donation towards SWAG's continuation! Huge hugs to you!"
Jun 5
"We're still in need of donations to enable necessary updates to the site to improve your experience here. Any & all donations are valuable!"
Jun 5
"Thank you, Jon Decker, for your extremely generous donation, which will keep SWAG going!"
Jun 5

Click here for SWAG badges for websites

Small Press, Indie & Anthology Covers

© 2019   Created by Lia Keyes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service